Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

I'm looking for advice on accomodation in sydney. I'm moving to sydney in June 2010 and have a job to start in St leonards, North Lower Shore Sydney. Looking to rent somewhere would prefer to share if possible. does anyone have any advice? thanks x

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea, even if you just stay for the 4 years its an experience. Be warned tho, after being here its hard to settle back in the Uk. Oh and remember if you are renting you need proof from the Uk that you paid rent or a mortgage, and a reference from your landlord...dificult to rent without paperwork here.

Helen McFarlane said:
cool sounds good. I've got a job to start in sydney just waiting on paperwork to come through. not moving permantly but just for up to 4 years see what i think then maybe make it permanant who knows x
to be honest even at the moment I cant see myself coming home but who knows. might have a problem with paperwork there as i've stayed at home so i could save up. I'll figure a way round it
We didn't have any either as we owned our own home in UK without a mortgage, most agents will help you work round it as long as you can prove your funds with a bank statement and wage slips from your employment, it should be fine.

Helen McFarlane said:
to be honest even at the moment I cant see myself coming home but who knows. might have a problem with paperwork there as i've stayed at home so i could save up. I'll figure a way round it
one other thing, before you leave the UK make sure your mobile phone is unlocked to any network. When you get to Oz pick up a "lebara mobile" sim card. They are as cheap as the other Oz networks but you can ring any landline in the UK for about 3p per minute and text for about 7p (sim cards are $10 with $10 credit included so basically free).

Michael J Kelly said:
We didn't have any either as we owned our own home in UK without a mortgage, most agents will help you work round it as long as you can prove your funds with a bank statement and wage slips from your employment, it should be fine.

Helen McFarlane said:
Yes would agree with all the suggestions given re real estate websites given.
Also try looking in The Manly Daily and North Shore Times ( local free papers) on Saturdays
www.northshore-times.com.au
www.manly-daily.com.au
www.sydney.gumtree.com.au

I suggest you look in Chatswood/Artarmon area (they are on train line to St Leonards and there are lots of flats in that area) if you want beach then take a look in DeeWhy Freshwater Manly although these are more pricey and public transport not so good
Good luck with the move!!!!!
I said would come for 2 years and have now been here for 20!!!!!!)
Lesley (www.northernbeachesknow-how.com.au
Hi Helen we used to live in Sydney,and I rented all my rooms or flats from gumtree.com.au. Can get furniture and stuff on there to. Plus if you room share you meet lots of people .

I too am moving to Sydney. Been looking at Gumtree and also Flatmates.au.com it seemed quite good but I have not used either yet.

I really want to live by the beach though so slightly less choice!

Hope you get somewhere nice!

Kevin 

The Sydney gumtree is packed with beach rooms. Will share mostly with travellers but a good start point. There's a lovely hostel on Campbell parade in bondi beach , it's up near the rsl club ... If you need somewhere to stay when u first get there. Also a nice hostel in coo gee beach. You'll meet loads of people anyway who will probably have rooms to rent. there will be notice boards up on all the newsagents in the back streets of bondi beach for flat mates and also in the coffee bars. I would stay in a private hostel room first !!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder

Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service