Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

As a vegetarian who likes to self cater, I've often wondered why there are no quorn products, or good old Linda McCartney foodstuffs available in Oz.  I know that there are very stringent quarantine laws re food coming into Austraia but surely a quorn sausage wouldn't be a risk item...or would it?  Anyone any ideas?

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Adele, now you know full well that the Aussies will view you with suspicion! Anyone who doesn't eat meat or seafood, like sport, smoke cigarettes and drink large amounts of alcohol is just weird! lol
You're absolutely right Michael! Possibly explains the lack of quorn!!

Michael J Kelly said:
Hi Adele, now you know full well that the Aussies will view you with suspicion! Anyone who doesn't eat meat or seafood, like sport, smoke cigarettes and drink large amounts of alcohol is just weird! lol
Adele, have you looked at bestofbritish.com.au. I found a link to them on migration angels web site. They are based in Perth and import british food etc. They post Australia wide and you can ask them to try to obtain products, they should know if there are import restrictions on quorn.

Adele McCarthy said:

Michael J Kelly said:
Hi there, thanks for the tip (you're always so helpful). I contacted Best of British and here's the reply:

A couple of years ago we had an importer look into the practicality of stocking this product along with Linda McCartney ready meals. It was deemed impractical due to transportation costs as the products would need to be shipped frozen. Also, I believe there may have been a problem with Quorn because it is a mushroom derivative it would be considered a fungus and therefore would require a special licence to import.

So there we have it, now I know. Would have been left wondering if you hadn't come up with the solution to my quest for quorn!! Thanks Michael.

Michael J Kelly said:
Adele, have you looked at bestofbritish.com.au. I found a link to them on migration angels web site. They are based in Perth and import british food etc. They post Australia wide and you can ask them to try to obtain products, they should know if there are import restrictions on quorn.

Adele McCarthy said:

Michael J Kelly said:
Story in Metro today: "QUORN is about to face its biggest challenge by going on sale in Australia. The meat-free food brand will be on shelves in a country where only three per cent of the population is vegetarian. However, many Australians say they plan to eat less meat, offering hope to the British food brand".
No mention of when and where it's going on sale but keep your eyes peeled if you're in an Aussie supermarket.
Wow....what a coincidence. Thanks Ken.

Ken Fayers said:
Story in Metro today: "QUORN is about to face its biggest challenge by going on sale in Australia. The meat-free food brand will be on shelves in a country where only three per cent of the population is vegetarian. However, many Australians say they plan to eat less meat, offering hope to the British food brand".
No mention of when and where it's going on sale but keep your eyes peeled if you're in an Aussie supermarket.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder

Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service