Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

What could prevent us getting visa approved???

We have lodged our 176 ss visa application and wondered what reasons could prevent us getting the visa?? I mean we have done the skills test and state sponsorship which went well so what else is there that could stop visa being accepted?? Other than meds and police checks?? It's just a long time and a lot of cash and no definate visa at the end of it all!!!! I just wish someone would say it will take a long time and a lot of cash but you will defo be granted a visa at the end..... But no.... All on a maybe!!!

Views: 2564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

Have you assessed yourself against the points test? What occupation have you applied under?

Cheers

Christopher McGrath

McGrath Migration Lawyers

Hi
yes we have the points and my hub is a bricklayer/builder? Do you know if it can still be declined for anything else?
Thanks

Christopher McGrath said:

Hi

Have you assessed yourself against the points test? What occupation have you applied under?

Cheers

Christopher McGrath

McGrath Migration Lawyers

Hi Janet

We went for a 176 (Queensland) and once we had gone through all the processes to get our state sponsorship agreed (which you'd need to satisfy the skills and points requirements for) it was simply a matter of medicals and police checks before we got our visa - only 2 months later! This was in late 2009, so things may have changed since then in terms of procedures and requirements and there may be more hurdles to pass now, but for us it was very straightforward once we'd got the state acceptance.

Tina

Hi, if it's any consolation, it took us what seemed like forever to actually get our visa, in fact we had to apply for our police checks twice as they run out after a certain time apparently! One of the hold-ups for us was that my partner has children from his previous marriage and whilst they weren't on the visa application we still had get the medicals for them and their mother blocked us doing that until we could convince her that we weren't trying to take them with us! I seem to remember another hold up, something to do with the state sponsorship and points system at the time! We originally went for a Queensland visa but while we were in the process they changed it saying that if we paid an amount of money we could have a visa to go anywhere, of course at the time we were a bit wary as we had already forked out huge amounts, but we went for it and thankfully in the end we were granted the visa and promptly had a party to celebrate :))  We did all ours through an agent, but I know some people choose to do it themselves!

The moral of this story is, don't give up, we are now in the process of relocating, earlier than we had planned as my partner has been offered a job just this week, so I guess another party is in order this weekend! :))

Hi
congrats to you :) and thanks for advice I just hope things move smoothly and fast :) it's all so worrying thinking everything looks good but there's always that chance that it could still go wrong!!! Fingers crossed then :) jan

Jackie said:

Hi, if it's any consolation, it took us what seemed like forever to actually get our visa, in fact we had to apply for our police checks twice as they run out after a certain time apparently! One of the hold-ups for us was that my partner has children from his previous marriage and whilst they weren't on the visa application we still had get the medicals for them and their mother blocked us doing that until we could convince her that we weren't trying to take them with us! I seem to remember another hold up, something to do with the state sponsorship and points system at the time! We originally went for a Queensland visa but while we were in the process they changed it saying that if we paid an amount of money we could have a visa to go anywhere, of course at the time we were a bit wary as we had already forked out huge amounts, but we went for it and thankfully in the end we were granted the visa and promptly had a party to celebrate :))  We did all ours through an agent, but I know some people choose to do it themselves!

The moral of this story is, don't give up, we are now in the process of relocating, earlier than we had planned as my partner has been offered a job just this week, so I guess another party is in order this weekend! :))

Wow it all went very fast for you :) just hoping ours moves as fast!!! Thanks for advice :)

Tina Shilleto said:

Hi Janet

We went for a 176 (Queensland) and once we had gone through all the processes to get our state sponsorship agreed (which you'd need to satisfy the skills and points requirements for) it was simply a matter of medicals and police checks before we got our visa - only 2 months later! This was in late 2009, so things may have changed since then in terms of procedures and requirements and there may be more hurdles to pass now, but for us it was very straightforward once we'd got the state acceptance.

Tina

hi Janet we know how you feel , we qualified through my wife who is a hairdresser . She passed the TRA skills test in May 2008 . We heard nothing then our agent advised us to try for state sponsorship , we were given this from south australia in feb 2010 . And we are still waiting , and in the meentime the value of our house has dropped and the pound as well . But our agent tells us there is nothing we can do but wait and the only way we can fail is on the medical or police check . It has been a pain living in limbo for the last two and a half years not being able to plan ahead.
Hi
oh no that is a long time I really hope it moves faster for us and that you hear something very soon :( we have only just lodged our visa app so I hope we hear something within a year!! We also have south aus sponsorship but going on my husbands trade which is bricklayer, do you have any ideas on where you want to live in south aus? Have you been before? We haven't but we can't see anywhere being worse than the uk in current state it's in!!! I too hope the house prices pick up quick for us and you!! Good luck and keep in touch you never know we could end up having a barbi together in the future :)

Jan

david simpson said:
hi Janet we know how you feel , we qualified through my wife who is a hairdresser . She passed the TRA skills test in May 2008 . We heard nothing then our agent advised us to try for state sponsorship , we were given this from south australia in feb 2010 . And we are still waiting , and in the meentime the value of our house has dropped and the pound as well . But our agent tells us there is nothing we can do but wait and the only way we can fail is on the medical or police check . It has been a pain living in limbo for the last two and a half years not being able to plan ahead.
Hi Janet...just to give you an idea of our time scale....we had Vetassess in Mar 08 (hubby a bricklayer also..we are heading for Brisbane)...passed and lodged our visa in July 08...medicals and police checks in Nov 08...lots of hurdles with immigration not working on 176 visas due to elections etc etcc and told by our agents that instead of the anticipated timescale of visas being granted by Jan 09 we were now looking at 2012 !! you can imagine how disappointed we were.   However one the elections took place things picked up again and in August 10 we were adivsed to have our medicals and police checks done again (because they had expired).  within 2 weeks of submitting these for the second time, we had been granted our visa and must validate our visas by oct this year.   It is a lengthy process and many times i resigned myself to the fact that we would not be going but it does, as we have learnt, take a while and a lot of money...but stick with it.....I cannot think of a reason why you would get refused if all ok with skills assessment, meds and police checks.  Hope this helps you somewhat.  Jen
Hi
thanks for your advice it has helped :) your story started off so well getting everything done in a year until the 2012 bombshell which must have been soul destroying for you, but at least you are past that awful stuff now and soon be there :) we still keep thinking something is going to go wrong for us and we will end up gutted!!! We keeping fingers crossed that things move fast forward for us and we can begin living our dream!! Good luck with your move and well done :)
jan

jennifer salter said:
Hi Janet...just to give you an idea of our time scale....we had Vetassess in Mar 08 (hubby a bricklayer also..we are heading for Brisbane)...passed and lodged our visa in July 08...medicals and police checks in Nov 08...lots of hurdles with immigration not working on 176 visas due to elections etc etcc and told by our agents that instead of the anticipated timescale of visas being granted by Jan 09 we were now looking at 2012 !! you can imagine how disappointed we were.   However one the elections took place things picked up again and in August 10 we were adivsed to have our medicals and police checks done again (because they had expired).  within 2 weeks of submitting these for the second time, we had been granted our visa and must validate our visas by oct this year.   It is a lengthy process and many times i resigned myself to the fact that we would not be going but it does, as we have learnt, take a while and a lot of money...but stick with it.....I cannot think of a reason why you would get refused if all ok with skills assessment, meds and police checks.  Hope this helps you somewhat.  Jen

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder

Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service