Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Advice on Working and Living in Brisbane

Hello Everyone!

I need advice on working and living in Brisbane. I do not have any family, nor am I married to an Australian, nor do I qualify for the skilled migrant visa as I am over 45, however, I am an educator with over twenty years of experience. I have been told I can secure a Guardian Visa for my 13 year old son so he can study in Australia, and then he can sponsor me. Is this true? If not, is there any other type of visa I could secure? As a last point of discussion, I am also an ordained minister and wonder if this is an area that can possibly allow me to live and work in Australia.

Any/all advice will be greatly appreciated :D


Views: 54

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by Christopher McGrath on November 24, 2009 at 11:28

The Student Guardian visa is for only 1 of the student's parents, and is easy to get. but be aware, it is a non-working visa, you cannot work while on it.

Re being an ordained Minister, if a church is willing to sponsor you, maybe. The age limit of 45 is not relevant for a 457 visa, but is for an ENS visa, but can be waived.

I have probably raised more questions than gavec answers. So get back to me if more infor is needed.


Chris McGrath
Migration Lawyer.
Comment by Jorge Diaz on April 22, 2009 at 13:18
Hi Susan,

I really appreciate the time you are taking to answer my questions. It seems from our discussions that the 457 is likely the SOLE visa appropriate for my circumstances, right? Also, how does one go about in getting a positive skills assessement of the work one has done in the occupation proposed, as it relates to at least three years immediately before the lodge of my visa application? Furthermore, if the positive skills assessment is returned satisfactorily does this mean I can apply and receive 1 121 on my own?

Again, thanks a million for your advice....Jorge
Comment by Jorge Diaz on April 22, 2009 at 2:39
Hi Susan,

Wow, so much information but I guess it is part of the process in understanding Australian migration policy. I just spoke to a prospective employer in Brisbane and they indicated that if I was the selected candidate for the position they would hire me on a contract basis given that I hold U.S. citizenship. Are they referring to the subclass 457 Business - Long Stay visa; or a subclass121 Employer Nomination Scheme visa?

Please advise and thanks a million....Jorge
Comment by Skills Shortage Consulting on April 20, 2009 at 3:50
Hi Jorge

I would strongly recommend speaking to a MARA registered agent as your case is quite complex. Most do free initial consultations.

Good luck

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2020   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service