Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Dear all,

I'm starting to write a series of blogs in the hope that you guys can answer some of the many unanswered questions I have regarding moving my family to WA. Also I'm hoping that the blogs will allow me to reflect on this journey whilst at the same time help others in a similar situation.

As I write, all family members have agreed to the move. My husband David is a mechanical engineer with vast experience in heavy industry. I currently work as a college lecturer teaching AS Psychology and Sociolgy, and our two children are Olifia aged nine and Elliot age six.

We currently live in the South Wales Valleys and are continuously commenting on our feelings of concern relating to how deprived the area seems in comparison to other areas we have visited. In short, we want a better quality of life for all of our family and we think that WA (Perth) can offer us what we are looking for.

As we are all now in agreement with the move we will now start to the necessary proceedings.

Wish us luck!


P.S Question 1. Once a visa has been granted is there a set time in which you have to use it?

Views: 131

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by Rachael Farrell on August 29, 2010 at 8:23
It was lovely to read your blog please add me as a friend we submitted our application in nov and have been told we should receive them by july next year my husband is a cabinet maker and I work in a school we have three children Charlotte 15 chloe 12 and cameron 10 they are all looking forward to the move but there is so much to sort out and I seem to be in a muddle as to what to start with first, hope you keep in touch it would be lovely to know what stages your at.
Comment by peterh on August 28, 2010 at 21:04
Hi Claire,

Just read your posting, we are also in the process of moving over, the house is on the market and my Visa application is ready to go. My Wife and the 2 kids have their OZ passports so it is only me holding up the process.
I thought I'd ask what type of job your husband is looking to get, I'm a mechanical engineer currently designing heavy marine equipment, but I cannot seem to find anything similar in Perth or elsewhere for that matter. If I wanted to work in building services I would be sorted.

Hope the process is going smoothly for you
Comment by Andy Ellis on August 10, 2010 at 22:49
With my skilled migration visa there was a 12 month timeframe for which you have to visit Australia and then I think it was valid for me to come and go as I pleased for the next 5 years.
Comment by Ken Fayers on August 10, 2010 at 20:37
Time limits do vary depending on the type of visa, but for a skilled migrant permanent residency visa (also known as a 175) you are given a date by which you must validate the visa when the visa is issued. That date will be no more than 12 months after your medicals and no more than 12 months after your police checks were done.
To validate your visa you must enter Australia - however that doesn't mean you have to migrate simply entering Australia for a holiday (or a recce as those of us planning to migrate call it) is fine. You have 5 years from the date the visa is issued to make multiple trips in and out of Australia. At the end of the 5 years you must either be in Australia (the right to remain in Australia is permanent it's entering Australia that is time limited) or have accrued enough time living in Australia (which I believe is 2 years) to be entitled to a Resident Return Visa (you may need to obtain that before you leave Australia if you want to return after the 5 years are up).
Comment by Christine lowther on August 10, 2010 at 18:27
Hi Claire

My husband and I are moving to WA and wish you luck. In answer to your question, there is a time limit of about 9months to validate your visa but you have 5 years to move.

Hope things go well for you and your family

Comment by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on August 10, 2010 at 18:21
Claire, I would like to talk to you about what is happening to me. Im 43 years old, a software engineer, two children (2 and 4 years old) and my wife works at home. We are attempting to migrate to Sydney as a Professionals Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) . I started two years ago, and am now in the final part of my immigration. Every type of visa has different requirements, you should scan over the website included in this post before you pay anyone to answer that question. - please add me as a friend. - Phil

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service