Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Hi! Does anyone know exactly what is involved in the skills assessment as I am about to start mine in September. We are starting our state skilled visa in January as I am a newly qualified nurse and by then will have a year of experience to enable us to go on a skilled visa. We have already spoken to the Ian Harrop Agency and they sound fantastic. Friends of ours used this agency and recommended them. The agency said the skill assessment was basically the Austrailian Government etc getting in contact with my university. Just wondered if anyone has a little more detail on what we have to do for it.

Views: 33

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by Stephanie Bennett on May 26, 2009 at 15:02
Thanks everyone!! I think like you say Benjamin, the agency made it sound like it was just paperwork back and forth. It was only having spoken to a friend who's colleague went through it and she said about an assessment on line. I've already emailed Melbourne Government and I don't have to do the English test for that state as I'm born, trained and work in England. So thats one less thing to worry about!
Comment by Benjamin Lin on May 26, 2009 at 11:42
Actually, it differs from occupation to occupation. A skills assessment is basically to make sure that you have skills that are adequate for your nominated profession. There's different bodies to get certified based on your occupation and Vetassess is simply one of them. You will need to clarify which body you need to apply your skills assessment with, and not all of them require the same documents nor have the same process.

Basically the gist is, if your qualifications are from a reputable recognised university, or you have solid working experience with a reputable organisation and can be verified, skills assessment is simply a formality.

Vetassess to my knowledge took about 4-6 weeks.
Comment by John on May 26, 2009 at 11:37
Hi Stephanie,

You should alos find this link helpful
Comment by Lee-Anne on May 26, 2009 at 11:31
Hi Stephanie. I've just been through this whole process and i just got the good news that i have been granted a visa to live in Australia - it's very exciting indeed!

The process is that you have to get a copy of your university transcript, make a copy of your actual degree and get it certified by a commissioner of oaths and then also get a letter from your current employer to prove that you are currently working in the profession under which you are applying for migration. The letter from your employer should state your current title, your salary, what youduties are in your current position and the address of your workplace. I can't remember too clearly but i think you also need to submit the results from your IELTS English test. Once you have all of that together you have to fill out an application form which can be found at and submit everything together. The costs are also on the website - once that is all in you just have to wait +/-6 weeks to get a response.

Hope that helps :)

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2020   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service