Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Hi my name is Annie, husband and self looking to emigrate to Adelaide where my son lives, anybody already done this or going through the process / We would be grateful for any advice regarding ease of application and is it worth using a migration agent as it doesn`t look too daunting !

Views: 1374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John thanks for your input, We have spoken to a migration agent and are busy compiling a list of questions for him! WE know that we fit the criteria and my son is able to sponsor us. I am hoping to get a free 30 min consultation to help us decide if we need to formally engage an agent as in the present economic climate every pound saved is a dollar closer to Australia! Regards , Annie

John Oakley said:
HI,
You should approach a migration agent and ask if they can help, any one of the registered agents are in a far better position to assist you before you hand over any monies. As to what Chris is leading to below, there would be a few pre requisits that may put you in more viable postition i.e your age, financial stability, would you be working etc? We applied through an agent for a skilled migration visa (subclass 175) which I agree is totally different to your circumstances and our application was successful first time around and relatively stress free.
We used Go matilda who were great and provided a service that we did not have the time nor patience to carry out the guess work.
If you do use an agent/ consultant they should be able to tell you if you SHOULD be successful or not by asking you a few questions first without you paying out any money.

Regards,

John
Don't start to take any of your pensions e.g. State or Royal Mail until after you have taken advice. If you have started taking your pension you will be unable to take it as a lump sum.....and therefore will be taxed on it. My understanding is that if you take the alternative lump sum and put it into Australian superannuation you will not be taxed.
Julie
Hi Annie,

The state of the economy at present is the worst it has been for 25 years in relation to the pound against the Aus Dollar. We will see a change after the UK elections and it would be in your favor if we dont end up with a hung parliment. None of us know what is going to happen but there will be a change by October this year once the elections are over and the new or existing government is in place.
I have been following the housing market in Aus and the 10% house price inflation is predicted in all states but as you know the interest rate is still rising too and this should slow down the predicted 10% inflation rate a little.
Its worth keeping one eye on realestate.com.au as there are still good buys everywhere if you dont have to choose prime city centre property. There are a lot of people over mortgaged in australia and this will push a lot of people to downsizing which will give you more bargaining power. Is there room to stay with your son while you are looking for a property?

The long term property prices on australian property WILL out perform the uk over the next 10 years and i think people need to bear this in mind, The fact that australia are tightening up their imigration criteria and that the top skilled professionals are still moving to australia is only a plus to anyone living or moving to australia. The cost of living will reduce as the infrastructure and choices of consumer products increase on a weekly basis in australia.
The UK has already seen the above and is currently suffering from a weak pound with poor exports, an unstable government with increasing borrowing, unemployment still rising, three more years of stagged cut backs in NHS and local government for services and further job cuts.

I think you have to say will your lifestyle change by moving? what compromises will you have to make and are they actually compromises or lifestyle changes?

Hope it all works out for you!

John

Annie Greenwood said:
Hi John thanks for your input, We have spoken to a migration agent and are busy compiling a list of questions for him! WE know that we fit the criteria and my son is able to sponsor us. I am hoping to get a free 30 min consultation to help us decide if we need to formally engage an agent as in the present economic climate every pound saved is a dollar closer to Australia! Regards , Annie

John Oakley said:
HI,
You should approach a migration agent and ask if they can help, any one of the registered agents are in a far better position to assist you before you hand over any monies. As to what Chris is leading to below, there would be a few pre requisits that may put you in more viable postition i.e your age, financial stability, would you be working etc? We applied through an agent for a skilled migration visa (subclass 175) which I agree is totally different to your circumstances and our application was successful first time around and relatively stress free.
We used Go matilda who were great and provided a service that we did not have the time nor patience to carry out the guess work.
If you do use an agent/ consultant they should be able to tell you if you SHOULD be successful or not by asking you a few questions first without you paying out any money.

Regards,

John
Hi John, many thanks for your very interesting comments and have to say I`m inclined to agree with you regarding the economies of both England and Australia.My son has room for us to stay so we are slowly moving forward one stage at a time. I will be contacting an agent in the near future for advice, hopefully it will be all systems go !!! Thanks again , regards Annie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder

Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2019   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service