Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

I'm after some much needed advice and support! I have two children that will be moving with us. My daughter 10 seems to be taking it all in her stride but my son 12 is very much agenst the whole idea of moving to oz!!!! He is my main worry and concern at the moment! 
Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and could give any tips or advice? I know he will be fine once he settles in its just the next year is going to be really hard! 
Thank you

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a few years back we tried in canada, with children who told us you have ruined our lives, but we went anyway, once there the children started school, loved it made new friends, and things didnt work out and we had to return home again, and we ruined their lives again, they really didnt want to return home, and we felt guiltly, so dont fear, children settle very well, make friends easily, quicker than adults, in six months they had a little accent and loved it, my girls were 12, 10 and a 16 year old son, hope this helps a little.

Hi Harriet,

We moved from the UK to Perth in 2009 when my daughter was just about to turn 10, she kicked up such a fuss and made the move really hard, we felt so guilty but knew it would be a better way of life for her over here.  She has settled in so well, made great friends and even apologised the other day for her poor behaviour when we first moved over.  Once she saw the outdoor way of life, the stunning parks, beaches and all year round blue skies and sunshine, she loves it and doesn't want to ever move back.

My son on the other hand was 5 when we came over, he just packed a few things in his backpack and was ready to go, no issues at all.

Good luck.

Claire

Perth

Hi

We emigrated to Brisbane almost a year ago now, our boys aged 11 and 13. The 11 year old has taken it all in his stride and settled, however the 13 year old (soon to be 14) is extremely homesick still ! We had many nights of tears, just wanting to go home, had we kept our home in the UK I'm sure I'd have headed to thd airport with him on many occasions! However I have spoken with him and explained we would never do anything to cause continual upset and that he should view this as a 2 year holiday, where although work and school has to be attended, after the 2years we will reassess the situation. He must be happy with this and settling a bit because its been 4 mths since any tears! My advise would be to remind yourself of why you made the decision in first place and stay strong during those tearful 3am bouts! It will all come good in the end. Good luck.
Jen

When my family moved to Australia we were older - 13, 16 and 17.  My brother who was 13 settled in best - he went to school and quickly adopted an Australian accent and fitted in really well.  It was harder for myself and my sister at our ages.  My sister went to school and made friends but kept her Scottish accent (the boys liked it!)  but I had already left school and went to work and found it extremely difficult because I had no friends and no one at work who was anywhere near my age.  So I think the fact that your children are still quite young they should settle OK even if they aren't keen on it.  It would be the same as if you were just moving to a new home that was too far away from the school they attended and had to start new schools.  It does help if they pick up the accent quickly because they will feel the same as everyone else and be better understood, having a different accent does draw a lot attention that they may not want or know how to deal with while they are trying to fit in.

Hi Claire, just wondering where in Perth are you? as we will be moving there in the near future and wondered how the schools are like there.  I have 4 children 15,9,5 and 2 and even though they all seem keen on moving i am really worried that they may not like it, especially my 15 year old who is afraid of every creepy crawly there is lol Thanks

Tanya

Claire Meyer said:

Hi Harriet,

We moved from the UK to Perth in 2009 when my daughter was just about to turn 10, she kicked up such a fuss and made the move really hard, we felt so guilty but knew it would be a better way of life for her over here.  She has settled in so well, made great friends and even apologised the other day for her poor behaviour when we first moved over.  Once she saw the outdoor way of life, the stunning parks, beaches and all year round blue skies and sunshine, she loves it and doesn't want to ever move back.

My son on the other hand was 5 when we came over, he just packed a few things in his backpack and was ready to go, no issues at all.

Good luck.

Claire

Perth

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder

Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2019   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service