Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Hi all, bit of advice please from anyone who has had experience in either of these matters.   We have our 176 visa and will be setting off to Brisbane in Sept 11 to start our new lives.  


  • Firstly, should my hubby who is a builder wait until we arrive and then turn up on a site for work opportunities or would he be in a better position and perhaps obtain a job other than bricklaying if he sends off his CV to companies whilst still in UK?
  • Secondly, with opening an Australian Bank account online before leaving, would we transfer GPB into the account and then would we acquire the exchange rate at the time of transfer. This area of transferring monies and exchanging at good times is a somewhat confusing to me !!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 50

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by Paul Johnson on May 18, 2011 at 5:51

Hi Jennifer,


Are there not recruitment agencies for builders etc.?  Might be an idea to scope that out and make some enquiries in advance.

With regards transferring money, I advise you to look into getting a money broker to do it; it will be a better rate than your bank and won't cost you much if anything.

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service