Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Implication of working for a UK company but living in AUS once i emmigrate

I will hopefully be handing my notice to my employer soon and emmigrating, but there might be the option to continue working for them once i reach OZ. I wondered if there were any implications or complications to consider regading my Australian Tax position etc? I will have Perminent Residency in Aus.

Anybody any experience or idea's, hope you can help.

Views: 678

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by steven keast on March 26, 2010 at 17:14
Hi Jackie, Just following up on this, as I understand it from the HMRC, if I continue to work for the same UK employer, then both I and they will continue to pay NIC's at Class 1 rates.

I would not be eligible for Class 2 rate :-( which is a shame.

I am i right in assuming that i would not need any permit to work in AUS? I will have Permanent Residency?

It would be great if you could clarify

Best regards
Comment by steven keast on March 24, 2010 at 13:24
Hi Paul, just to let you know, things seem to be working out for the best. My company have agreed to keep me on for 12 months at current package and have given me a wider brief which is a good opportunity. I think i have even got the house rented for at least 6 months.
Now only approx 35 days to go, so much to organise but its mainly the financial stuff.
Any info you might have would be welcome
nest regs
Comment by Jackie Smith on February 23, 2010 at 6:12
Hi Steven, My URL is You will find some useful information about your private pension schemes. You might alos want to think about topping up your NI contributions to increase your state pension entitlement - this can be done for only £2.40 per week if you follow certain necessary steps before leaving the UK. Feel free to message me via my website if you want more info. Regards Jackie
Comment by steven keast on February 22, 2010 at 21:56
Hi Jackie, that is very useful and given your area of expertise, it would be good if you could advise your URL as i could not connect to the link. I have some pensions which i believe can be transfered through Qorops, but i also have a deferred Company pension and i guess usual UK pension. So i need to research as much as poss.
BTW my employer seems keen to keep me on for a couple of months and is trying to hatch a plan for maintaining this longer term. what a result.
Best regards
Comment by Jackie Smith on February 12, 2010 at 7:02
I am a Chartered Tax Adviser from the UK now living in Australia. I can confirm that if you leave the UK with the intention of living permanently in Australia, you will become a tax resident of Australia and will cease to be a tax resident of the UK. As such your earning will be taxed in Australia regardless of the fact that you work for a UK employer. Take a look at my website for some useful tax and pension tips for migrants.
Comment by Paul Johnson on February 10, 2010 at 16:32
I may be in the same boat as my current employer has a company in Australia and I'm trying to convince them I can do my job from there, so will be very interested in an answer to this too!

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service