Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Hi....I'm right at the very beginning of considering a move down under...I need to get out of this dank desperate country that appears to be falling to bits...

I'm finding it quite bewildering and I'm not sure where to start...

The main visa applicant would be my hubbie, who is solicitor. This seems to attract 60points, quite a lot, but is not on the in demand list. I'm currently a housewife, but previously managed a department in a law firm. We have 12 yr old son too.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start? are there any other lawyers out there who have done this? We'd be looking at Perth or Brisbane for our favoured destination, but would also look at Melbourne or sydney.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!!

Views: 27

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by Ged on February 19, 2009 at 4:02
Hi Sheryl
We live on Buderim and love it. The town is a great location as it built on an escarpment and has great views of the ocean and hinterland plus its only 5 mins form some of the most fantastic beaches. There are loads of migrants living here from all over Australia and further afield, and it has such a friendly atmosphere. We are about an hour from Brisbane by car. If you need any help with the move etc., I'm currently setting up my own business to provide relocation advice and services.
Comment by sheryl c on February 15, 2009 at 19:00
Hi Ged...thanks for the info. I don't think a student visa would work for us as my OH is already a qualified solicitor and can transfer this, but its not clear from all the jargon whether he needs to do any exams or whether he would simply have to be supervised in practice for a while. Since posting I have also seen that solicitors are on the ENSOL list which may help us if he could secure a job offer first....

Hope you're enjoying life on the Sunshine Coast!! Where abouts are you?
Comment by Ged on February 15, 2009 at 12:47
We were in a similar situation and eventually we went down the student visa route. My wife is currently 6 months into a 2 year course in Hairdressing and Beauty on the Sunshine Coast, after which with additional work experience, this will give us the opportunity to upgrade from a temporary to a permanent visa. The great thing about this visa is that you can get it within a couple of months of applying. I can provide loads of info if you are interested.

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2022   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service