Get Me Downunder

The Adventure Starts Here

Skills assessment - Does a qualified accountant really need a degree?

Hi all,

I am planning to migrate in a year or two on a Skilled Independant Visa - subclass 157, and am at the very beginning of my visa process.
I thought I'd do as much reading as possible before deciding on a migration agent.

I am a qualified accountant , ACCA since year 2000. I am from and live in the UK currently aged 31.

It seems the first thing to do before applying for my visa is to have my skills assessed.

Being a qualified accountant I didn't see this being much of a problem, I went to the CPA website (the Australian equivalent of the ACCA), only to read that you need the equivalent of an Australian Batchelores degree as well as my qualifications.

When I finished my A Levels' I had had enough of the school format and wanted to go into the work place, so I opted for accountancy and went straight into my ACCA after a one year foundation course.
I beleived this would enhance my career prospects at an earlier age, rather than doing 3/4 years at Uni before then going onto do my accountancy exams as well, which so far it has.

Am I reading the stipulation on the CPA website properly, is my migration dream over before it really got started?

I fail to see how having a degree in a potentially unrelated subject, or even in accountancy could improve my skills when I am already qualified in my profession?

Thanks in advance for anyone's advice.



Views: 242

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Get Me Downunder to add comments!

Join Get Me Downunder

Comment by AndyH78 on July 8, 2009 at 13:31
Thanks all for your replies.
I emailed the CPA, and two weeks later got a reply, that although there is a graduate entry scheme for the CPA, as of 1st July 2009, the graduate policy is being scrapped for skills assesment purposes, so my ACCA will suffice on its own.
Comment by Ken Fayers on July 3, 2009 at 20:46
I'm an ACA rather than an ACCA but this might help. When the ICAEW provided the certification that I'm a member of the institute and the syllabus for the ICAA they included a copy of a letter from the EU Commission (who apparently require employees for accountancy posts to have a degree) to the CCAB certifying that they recognise CCAB qualifications as being the equivalent of a degree. I didn't ask for or need the letter as I have a degree so it must be standard practice for them to provide it. Presumably the ACCA can do something similar.
Comment by John Talbot on June 12, 2009 at 12:54
I did this for the missus via ICAA as part of our application

She has same circumstances

You can download all you need from ICAA website

They want info on the course syllabus etc and it all looks daunting at first but it isnt really

If you then contact the ACCA, they will send you all the back-up information you need on your course years

You then just need your certificates for levels 1 to 3 etc...... oh & the fee !

Dont forget to get it all certified by a JP

Good luck !

Comment by Sammy Naghi on June 12, 2009 at 7:51
Hi Andy,

Kerry is correct. Your ACAA qualification is fine to get you a skills assessment. I would however, recommend going through the ICAA instead. This is another designated skills assessing body for Accountants. They specifically indicate that they recognise your ACAA qualification although it comes under partial recognition. Please see

Basically you will be fine to get your skills assessment with your qualification. I got one of my clients a skills assessment from them less than a month ago with the same qualification as you. If you want to have a chat about your case, feel free to give me a call on my number below.

Kind regards

Sammy Naghi
Australian Solicitor L.S. No: 42619
Registered Migration Agent No: 0641061

Taylor Hampton Solicitors LLP
Direct Tel: +44 (0) 20 7427 5975
Comment by Kerry Standing on June 11, 2009 at 14:12
As an acountant you should be fine. Remember Skilled Visa is only one option, you also have the State Sponsored route as well. Google the Skilled Migrant departments for all the states and terriotories i.e. NSW, ACT, Queensland, NT, WA & SA, also Tassie.

Tassie gets a lot of stick but it is beautiful.

Job of the Week

Provided by Working Downunder


Scan the code with your phone to join our Jobs Down Under list

© 2021   Created by Australia & New Zealand magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service